Sunday 7 June 2015

Resolutions 2015: Half Time Review


The cold post-winter of January is long behind me; nevertheless I am chained to its pact. Welcome to my half time review!



#1  Mo' Reading, Less Problems


A couple of months back I started reading Voltaire and realised, a bit late some would say, that you can often find two canons in one book. Continental philosophy often blurs genre lines with continental literature and this is both to its credit and detriment: the works tend to have greater cultural impact on account of their drama but sacrifice the veracity of their arguments in the process.

I have chosen to use the word "drama" rather than "readability" because while certain continentals can write fantastic fiction, their prose occasionally falls apart when writing straight laced philosophy.


For instance, in The Myth of Sisyphus Camu, for no discernible reason, behaves like the Oprah Winfrey of punctuation and hands every second word its own sub-clause despite being an otherwise very restrained and readable fiction writer.

Regardless, we are half way through the year of 2015 and I feel considerably more comfortable about my relationship with western literature. The journey is by no means at an end but I think I have good reason to hope that this year will end in satisfaction. If I continue the efforts I have made so far, I shouldn't have to play catch-up much longer.   



#2 Bad news for my cholesterol - I'm a lover not a fighter.

My health has deteriorated, slightly. My running has become infrequent and my diet unpredictable. There are two reasons for this, the first feeds into the second. I have made a number of romantic connections and I have also become more blasé with regards to my health. Consequently, I have spent more time getting drunk in bed with strange people than my doctor would of hypothetically recommended: evening runs and low fat yogurt have been replaced with rum, brie and cable ties.

Perhaps it is my, long awaited, attainment of a functional social life that has turned my attentions away from the rather solipsistic activities of calorie counting and mid-night jogging but I think a more honest appraisal involves holding myself accountable for recent complacencies.  I will try harder.



#3  Itunes - another wage-sucking vampire is now draining my current account.

Last time I wrote one of these posts my reticence and inability to scout out new artists was the one problem I had yet to fix. This time round it is the one I have had the most success with - thank you online shopping. When Steve Jobs returns from his cryo-chamber in the year 3011 he will be a little bit richer thanks to me; I have yet to decide how I feel about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment